VOIP was once a cutting edge technology that only a few businesses used but is now a main technology. VOIP, which stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol, is a method of communicating through a device that is connected directly through the internet. Instead of calls being routed through the telephone lines, calls are now routed through the internet. This method of communication is significantly cheaper. In some instances businesses can save as much as 80% off their normal long distance phone bills.
One major advantage of a business VOIP phone is that it is a fixed cost. It makes it much easier for businesses to grow without a huge added cost to the phone bill. For most business plans the monthly cost is less than $40 a month and and many other instances the cost can be even less. It just depends on whether there are any additional features like international calls, extensions, fax lines, etc.
What to look for when choosing VOIP for your business?
- The first thing to look for is whether the VOIP plan includes unlimited minutes. There once was a significant difference between having unlimited minutes and having a preset number of allowable minutes. The unlimited minutes used to be a good bit more expensive. Today that is not so much the case. Now there is hardly any difference in costs which makes it worth it to pay just a few bucks more a month for unlimited calls.
- Does the business have any customers or could potentially have any customers outside of the country? This is a significant question to ask when selecting a VOIP service. Not all services offer international calling and not all services offer the same prices for international calling. Whatever the case, make sure that the plan includes unlimited minutes.
- Now this is the case with most VOIP providers but it is still worth mentioning just to be on the safe side. Make sure that the VOIP provider allows customers to port their existing number both to and from the provider. In most countries this is not a problem.
- Look for money back guarantees. Most of the better known VOIP companies offer 30 day money back guarantees. Take advantage of this in case for whatever reason the service provided is not satisfactory.
- Finally, look for promotions. The business of delivering VOIP services to business is cut throat. That means that there is heavy promotion used to gain new customers. There is absolutely no reason to ever pay full price for any introductory period to a new VOIP service. Look for coupons, promotion codes, or referral codes. These can be entered at the time of checkout and can give additional savings to new customers.
- Always pay attention to the prices after the introductory or promotional period. Make sure the prices do not go sky high after the promotion is up. A few of the smaller VOIP providers will try to slip in the price increases hoping that the customer will not notice.
Over all, even after the promotional periods are over, the prices for VOIP versus the traditional phone are significantly cheaper. No longer does the cost of communication have to effect the new growth of a business.